Communicative
technology has revolutionized how people receive and transfer information. Like
most new communicative technology, it begins with a democratization effect and
slowly becomes privatized and monopolized by a handful of large companies. For
example, when the radio was first popularized in the 1920s, nearly anyone with
a basic knowledge of electronic engineering could build their own radio and
broadcasting station. Stations were free and there was not any form of
regulation of the radio waves. There were radio stations for labor news, dozens
of different ethnic music and news stations, comedy shows and the list goes on.
This of course is multiplied by every major city in the United States. By the
beginning of the 1930s radio stations began to be privatized and monopolized by
media corporations such as CBS and ABC. This pattern of democratization to
privatization has happened time and again, first with the radio, then
television, and now with the internet. One of the most important things that
will be expanded upon later about this pattern is exactly what is being communicated and how that has changed as the
technology becomes privatized.
The three
most important communicative technologies in my life have been the television,
the computer (the internet), and the cellphone. While these are not listed in
order of influence, they are listed in chronological order. Unlike the students
and young people in the video, I do not create anything with the communicative
technology that I use. I do not have a blog, a facebook, twitter, or website. I
do use communicative technology to receive information in one form or another.
First, the
television. I have been watching television since I can remember. While this is
a one-way communicative line, the television did take up a large part of my
childhood. My favorite shows were cartoons and mediocre sitcoms. From
four-years-old until my mid-teens how was I supposed to know any better? These
television shows taught me everything that school, personal experience, family
culture, and did not. Unconsciously I was taking in all of the messages of
these shows and they were creating my outlook of the world. As a passive
audience member of television I learned many of society’s norms.
In middle
school, grades 6-8, the computer was integrated into my daily life. At first
mostly for videogames but I was also using AOL Instant Messenger to talk with
friends. As I got older I used the computer for more and more information.
Anywhere from communicating with friends, to reading news (I try to read the
news everyday now, usually I go from a left-wing slant to a right-wing slant to
get the full political spectrum of news), to learning about anything else that
is interesting to me, and to download music and movies. The internet has
actually entirely replaced the television in my life. Like it or not, in the
twenty-first century, you no longer have to pay for media. Any television show,
movie, album, or any other type of media can be found somewhere on the internet
and in my personal opinion, it is only a matter of time until copyright law is
erased for electronic copies of media. In my utopia, the internet has all of
the social media that everyone loves but also functions as an archive for every
book, song, movie, television show, news article and more that anybody can access
from anywhere for free. In essence, all information will be 100 percent
accessible. Of course, this is probably just a pipe-dream.
Lastly, the
cellphone has all the aspects of the computer and the internet but now
everything can fit in your pocket (and also on your wrist). The cellphone has mobilized
the internet and has made information transfers for instantaneous. Before, you
had to literally sit at your computer to be an active (or passive) member of
the internet community. As I said before, I do not really take part in the Web
2.0 aspects of the internet, meaning that I do not create my own media on the
internet. But I do have my favorite news outlets as apps on my phone. They are
always publishing articles so I get my news instantaneously throughout the day
and anywhere I go.
Before communicative
technology becomes privatized there are a large variety of opinions and sources
of entertainment. Educational stations and channels were education. Once it is privatized
the message completely changes. Why would the History Channel broadcast the
reality television show Ice Road Truckers?
Privatization always is followed by a narrowing of views and a poorer quality
of product because there is no competition for anything worthy.
No comments:
Post a Comment